We know adoption. Here’s why:
NCFA began in 1980 as a response to the Model State Adoption Act, which would have dramatically changed the nature of adoption in the U.S. to the detriment of the best interests of many children and families. Then named the National Committee on Adoption, the organization was formed to educate the public on the downsides of the draft legislation, as many adoption agencies and organizations felt unable or were unwilling to take on the controversies presented by the Act. NFCA provided critical information about sound adoption practices relied upon by Congress to pass a revised version of the Act.
Since then, NCFA has worked tirelessly to increase public understanding of adoption and promote a positive image of adoption as a loving way to build nurturing, permanent families. We advocate for ethical, sound policies and services regarding adoption in an inclusive, non-partisan way. NCFA monitors federal and state legislation, addressing policies and laws that create barriers to children finding the families they deserve. We collaborate with adoption service providers, like-minded national advocacy and education groups, individuals, and child welfare authorities worldwide to promote the best interests of children everywhere.
NCFA has become the nation’s top authority on adoption issues, including domestic infant adoption, international adoption, and adoption from foster care. We are committed to being a lifelong trusted resource for adoptive families, adopted individuals, and birth families, as well as the professionals who serve them and the policymakers whose decisions impact them.
If you are an adoption professional, NCFA membership can be your home for professional community, support, resources, training, and advocacy opportunities. We know you want to do the best work possible in service of children, youth, and families. Together, we can advance sound adoption policies, improve practice, and strengthen the field to achieve our shared vision.
Membership Benefits include:
- Members-only listservs including country and topic-specific groups
- Representation before policymakers, and foreign and domestic governments
- Discounted National Adoption Conference registration
- Free CEs at the National Adoption Conference
- NCFA Member Badge to display on website
- Free Members-Only Webinars
- Publicity via our website ”Find A Professional” directory and friendly media inquiries on adoption-related stories
- Referrals of expectant parents and prospective adoptive parents looking for credible agencies and attorneys
- Participate in caucus calls and gatherings such as country programs, accreditation, and specific areas of practice
- Information and assistance on specific adoption cases and best practice solutions
- Participate in receiving visiting International Delegations
Find an Agency or Attorney
Search NCFA's Member Directory to find an adoption professional to assist you with a range of services including homestudies, placement services, expectant parent counseling, birthparent support, legal services, search and reunion guidance, post adoption support, and much more.