Skip to content

Find adoption answers, support, training, or professional resources

Agency or Attorney? Which is right for me?

Depending on what type of adoption service you are looking for, you may be able to work with either an adoption agency or attorney, or both. Use this chart to discover your options! Please note that not every adoption attorney or agency will provide all of the services listed below.

Don’t see the adoption service you’re looking for listed here? Not sure if your circumstances fit any of these situations? Give us a call (703-299-6633) or send us an email and we can help!


Both Adoption Attorneys and Adoption Agencies Provide Services for:

An Adoption Attorney Can Also Help You With:

  • Stepparent adoption
  • Contested adoption
  • Adult adoption

An Adoption Agency Can Help You With:

  • Birthparent Support
  • Birthland Tours
  • Embryo Adoption
  • Group/Maternity Home Care
  • Heritage Camps
  • Homestudy Services for Domestic or Intercountry Adoption, and adoption from Foster Care in some states
  • Intervention Cases
  • Outgoing Adoptions (adoptions from the U.S. to another country)
  • Post Placement/Adoption Services
  • Residential Services
  • Respite Care
  • Search and Reunion Services
  • Second Chance Adoptions

*an attorney cannot provide homestudy, post-placement or placement services, but they can serve as a consultant on specific legal issues. U.S. Citizens who wish to adopt internationally must work with a Hague-accredited adoption agency according to current regulatory interpretations from the U.S. Department of State. Please review our guidance on understanding the types of services agencies can provide for an international adoption.

**adoption agencies may have an in-house attorney or can provide other limited legal services