With 5,200 dead, another 10,000 injured, and over 8 million people effected as a result of the devastatingly powerful 7.9 magnitude earthquake that rocked the mountainous country last Sunday, Nepal is in desperate need of your help. NCFA has reached out to its member organizations to find out how you can help the vulnerable children’s homes and orphanages, many of which are in dire need of food, clean water, and supplies.
Nepal’s Adoptive Families Association is a group made up of families from all over the world who have adopted children from Nepal. They have set up a GoFundMe page that will donate 100% of the proceeds to children’s homes and orphanages in Nepal. The funds will go towards relief, rebuilding and securing the orphanages, and supporting them in a time where aid is thinly stretched over such a large country. While they already hit their goal of $20,000 they have promised that additional money will go towards a healthcare professional rescue trip–of which the country is in dire need due to the aftermath of the earthquake. A second GoFundMe page has also been set up by 3 members of Nepal’s Adoptive Families Association and they are just shy of their goal. Every donation counts.
New Beginnings has an orphan home with 10 children, located just a ½ mile from the airport. The building is cracked, but structurally stable and all the children are okay for now. Like many others, the children are afraid to enter the building, and instead sleep under tarps and tents outside. For the home, acquiring food and clean water is a priority. Mercy Nepal Relief Fund has been established to help meet immediate goals of food, water, and other unforeseen needs. All donations are tax deductible. 91% of funds will go directly to the purchasing supplies while the other 9% covers postage, mailings, and wire transfers (no administration fees). Any unused funds will go to other orphan homes in Katmandu.
The Nepal Children's Home in Kathmandu has been a long time partner with Faith International Adoption. While the home was well built in a valley outside the city and still stands, it is in desperate need of supplies. They have been helping a local village with water and food as well as taking in children who have been displaced from their families in the city. At this time they ask for funds to purchase water, food and blankets/tarps and welcome any financial donations that can assist them in purchasing the much needed items. Please direct all donations to Faith International Adoptions with a note that this is for Nepal, or call their office at (253)383-1928 to donate by phone. They can provide you with a tax deductible receipt for your donation.
Photo Credit: John Meske